Friday, December 2, 2011

Yes you can!





Yes you too can groom your own poodle!



When we first got Lily a year ago, my big worry was her hair. My big relief was...her hair!


Poodles dont shed and when I say that, I mean it! You can pull and tug but it wont come out. Its not fur, its hair.



This keeps our house very clean for having a large dog in it.



Now this means you need to clip it, at least every 6-8 weeks if you want them to look like a poodle as opposed to a portugese water dog!



After hunting down a groomer I was horrified to find that Standards cost about 100 bucks a groom at most groomers in the Bay Area. You can do a quick 50 dollar petsmart cut, but beware.



So I decided to learn myself. I've been successful now for about a year. It's amazing how in many ways Lily has become more than just a service dog to the boys, but to every member of the family including Mom. Grooming her and training her has become a beloved hobby and a natural stress reliever for me! Its a great way to bond with your dog, and train them while you are grooming.



Lately I have been finding more people in the community wanting to learn, I've been sharing tips and have begun making contacts in order to help groom others dogs. I hope that everyone gets the message that "yes you can!"

No comments:

Post a Comment